October 25, 2010

Bill Cosby
Disco Bill - 1977

There is a reason this was The Coz's last "singing" album (until the '90s, anyway). I'm pretty sure this one is supposed to be funny, but I could be wrong.

Aside from long-time-Cosby-collaborator Stu Gardner and Wah Wah Watson, there really aren't any names of note on this. Even the writing credits are all Cosby-Gardner, except "One, Two, Three", which might be a Holland-Dozier-Holland song or might be a Len Barry song. None of that matters because Bill really does a very loose cover and ends up making the song all his own.

Yeah, this is a novelty record, but I really find myself listening to it quite often. It makes me laugh and makes me wanna groove. Tell me "Section #9" isn't a little bit funky. "Boogie On Your Face", "What Ya Think 'Bout Lickin' My Chicken" and the Barry White style talk down of "A Simple Love Affair" all make me laugh out loud.

If anyone out there is getting rid of (or selling) a copy of Badfoot Brown & the Bunions Bradford Funeral Marching Band LP please let me know. I should like to purchase it, maybe?

Let's Boogie.

Track listing:
Side A:
1. A Simple Love Affair
2. What Ya Think 'Bout Lickin' My Chicken
3. Rudy
4. Boogie on Your Face
5. Happy Birthday Momma

Side B:
1. That's How I Met Your Mother
2. One, Two, Three
3. Section #9
4. A Nasty Birthday
5. What's in a Slang




Download Disco Bill from DivShare (34.52 MB)

No comments: