September 12, 2010

Sam Cooke
Sam Cooke Interprets Billie Holiday - 1975

Man, I never understood why people like Frank Sinatra (he should have made it onto Public Enemy's short list of people to 'mother fuck'). It's crusty old boring music with no life. He's sounds to me like he's asleep half the time. Now, Sam Cooke's big band themed stuff is all soul. Sometimes the arrangements and backing vocals are too standard for me but Sam's voice cuts through all that.

This record is pretty beat up so if you are looking for archival quality versions of these songs go look somewhere else. I think the hiss and pops add to the feeling of sitting on a porch during a hot summer's night; with a drink and a certain special lady-friend....

I picked this record up at the same time I picked up the subject of my previous post, Blowfly's Disco Party, at Chicago's Reckless Records. Needless to say, I recommend stopping in to one of their 3 locations anytime one is in Chicago.

Download this and you'll feel good about feelin' bad.


Track listing:
Side A:
1. Good Morning Heartache
2. Lover Man (Oh Where Can You Be?)
3. Solitude
4. Crazy She Calls Me
5. Blue Moon

Side B:
1. Lover Come Back To Me
2. They Can't Take That Away From Me
3.I Gotta Right To Sing The Blues
4. Tain't Nobody's Business If I Do
5. Let's Call The Whole Thing Off





Download Sam Cooke Interprets Billie Holiday from DivShare (22.63 MB)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ironically, Frank Sinatra was someone Sam looked up to. He especially admired Frank's dynamic stage presence. He gave Frank Sinatra credit for controlling a room like no other.

Erik Greene
Author, "Our Uncle Sam: The Sam Cooke Story From His Family's Perspective"
www.OurUncleSam.com