March 8, 2011

Spyder Turner
Stand Be Me - 1967

It's no secret that I like old soul music. So here is Spyder Turner's debut LP Stand By Me. The title track has a really cool gimick to it. He starts singing the song like other soul singers; Jackie Wilson, James Brown, Eddie Kendricks, Otis Redding, etc. I heard him doing this live on WFMU about a year or so ago and it worked so much better live. His Al Green impression was spot-the-fuck-on.

The rest of the record is very good as well. Nothing too amazing, honestly, but an all around solid soul record. Usually these things were based around one hot single with the rest just being kinda filler stuff. This one really isn't. Yeah, 'Stand By Me' is obviously the single but the rest of it really holds up, too. Turner's got a good voice and some fire in his bones.

He's still going at it, too. He put out a record in '09 to benefit a Haiti Relief Fund.

I've tacked on the live version of Stand By Me from Fool's Paradise on WFMU 'cause it's awesome. Click here to listen to it.


Track listing:
Side A:
1. Stand By Me
2. Hold On, I'm Coming
3. I Can't Make It Anymore
4. Moon River
5. I'm Alive With A Lovin' Feeling

Side B:
1. I Can't Wait To See My Baby's Face
2. Dream Lover
3. Morning, Morning
4. Don't Hold Back
5. I Don't Want To Cry
6. Your Precious Love





Download Stand By Me from DivShare (68.24 MB)

No comments: