June 13, 2010

Herbie Mann
Muscle Shoals Nitty Gritty - 1970

Well, I'm back. I got my record player hooked up to my computer, again. There's nothing like a girl in a record store to motivate me to get off my ass and do something.

I was at Academy Records a few weeks ago browsing to David Bowie's Lodger record, which I seriously need to listen to again, when all of the sudden some funky-ass shit starts playing. Academy has a little 'Now Playing' display and a Herbie Mann record was sitting in that spot. I thought "Ain't no way. That's the soft, fluffy, jazz flutist." I almost instantly recognized the vibe playing as Roy Ayers and figured it was most likely one of his records. I finished up my shopping over the course of the record and as I was checking out, I asked the cashier if that really was the Herbie Mann. He confirmed it and I made up my mind to walk out with the record. Fortunately, I grabbed it before the chick in line behind me, who was also eying it up. Nah nah nah nah nah nah!

So here it is. Herbie Mann. Actually being good. I want to credit a lot of the awesomeness of this record to the Muscle Shoals backing band. Eddie Hinton, Barry Beckett, David Hood (who never should have had children) and Roger Hawkins could play on a Bjork record and it would be funky. Add Roy Ayers to the mix and God Damn!!!

I've heard good things about this late 60s/early 70s Mann stuff, mostly from that dude at central NJ record shows who defaces Kylie Minogue 45s for me to hang in my kitchen, but never really picked any of it up. I'm sure gonna start now. I might even pick up that creepy Push Push album. Well, that might be pushing it. Ha! Get it?!?!?

Alright. Sorry. A great band, great tunes and a killer Beatles cover. Just click download. You'll enjoy it.


Track listing:
Side A:
1. Muscle Shoals Nitty Gritty
2. Claudia Pie
3. Can You Dig It

Side B:
1. Blind Willy
2. Come Together
3. Panama Red's Panama Hat





Link removed at the request of some money-grubbing soulless prick.

1 comment:

Den said...

http://www.mediafire.com/?too5lye9z9t2p6m